Welcome Guest, please Login, or Create an account

Hello from John

Offline Giantmammoth Posted 08-12-2014, 05:09 AM -

Good morning all. I met a few of you at Supanova this year not that you would remember me.
Back to top Find
Offline Kit Daeme Posted 08-12-2014, 07:51 AM -
Tatooine Member

Hello there welcome aboard not sure if I was there to meet you but I was a Jedi general with hand armour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[Image: RebelLegionSigBar_zps25a2663e.gif]
Back to top Find
Offline Hopfot Posted 08-12-2014, 08:51 AM -

G'Days John. That weekend was certainly a blur for me. So many costumes, so many hours. But glad you found your way here. I know we had a few people come to the 501st/RL stand interested in joining either club or both. Now we can get to know you better. Wink

As it says I'm Hopfot, many call me Hop or Hoppy. If you saw me over the weekend, I was a Jurrasic Park Raptor Handler, Red and White Mando with a big flowwy red cape, and a black, white and blue Jedi.

I read you are looking at a Jedi and wondering on the fabric. First things first, if you haven't already, study the CRL found here http://www.rebellegion.com/jedi-costume-...s-generic/ . This is the CRL for Generic Jedi. You may even want to take a look through all the CRLs at other future costumes Tongue . As for fabric, it's kinda your choice as to what you want, so long as your final costume meets the CRL standards. A tip for combating heat, avoid leather or anything leather-like for tunic or tabards (I didn't and I pay for it, with my black pleather tabards). However I went for a sleeveless outter tunic and as it states in the CRL you just need a long sleeve Inner Tunic. So that's a way to combat the heat. Wink

"This weapon is your life" - Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Back to top WWW Find
Offline Giantmammoth Posted 08-12-2014, 09:34 AM -

I have been looking at the CRL for a while actually prior to joining the forums I have been doing pricing etc. but was just curious as to fabric I have been looking at cotton fabrics such as Jersey or Kona but want to make sure that I don't grab something that is well inappropriate. Also curious as to the fabric you guys have used for your cloaks, is it gabardine wool, or a tropic wool? again to combat the heat. My apologies Hoppy, thank you for the greating. You can call me Mammoth if you want, long story behind the nickname, but yeah.

Kit I think you were there but you were busy with photos, I saw you around but never got the chance to say hello.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2014, 09:36 AM by Giantmammoth.)
Back to top Find
Offline Apok Posted 08-12-2014, 11:03 AM -
Drop Bear Squadron Leader

Ola Mammoth. Great to see you on the boards. Ask lots of questions before you do anything. Better to ask a question than pay for a mistake. Hoppy knows his stuff and has been a member of the Sith vs Jedi team for a few years now. Heat is an issue in the summer months for sure.

Mammasith is an amazing seamstress so she may be able to help you out and she is very reasonably priced. PM her.

Welcome to the Base mate.
Back to top Find
Offline Giantmammoth Posted 08-12-2014, 11:34 AM -

Thanks Apok I was actually hoping to give the whole sewing etc. myself before I try to get someone to make them. I did get to see some of Mammasith's work at Supanova with one of the costumes she made which was brilliant.
Back to top Find
Offline Apok Posted 08-12-2014, 01:47 PM -
Drop Bear Squadron Leader

Dude if you can sew more power to you for sure. Muppet making is about as good as I get with sewing haha. Yep Mammasith is a damn wizz at costume making. Which ever way you decide make sure you ask the questions about what type of material to use. It will save you time, money and heat exhaustion. Good luck and start a build thread when you decide which way to go.
Back to top Find
Offline Rebelrach Posted 08-12-2014, 08:01 PM -
Public Relations Officer

Hey Mate, welcome.
Good luck with your first costume, if you are reading the Jedi CRL you'll see the requirements are for natural looking materials and colours, nothing too bright.

Great if you have sewing skills, and we have some talented members who can make costumes too, its also possible to buy Jedi costumes online, with a few recommended suppliers that sell costumes and belts etc, to an approvable level.

Feel free to ask questions, we have lots of members with loads of costuming experience who are happy to help you.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2014, 08:02 PM by Rebelrach.)
Back to top Find
Offline Hopfot Posted 08-12-2014, 08:24 PM -

I think my last cloak, my black one was a lightweight suiting material. Best to go for something light and that doesn't need an iron with cloaks. And be sure it flows nicely too.

A neat little trick I've used on my cloaks is a thin material that I can just barely see through when up close and making my cloak just 1 layer of material. That way I can wear the cloak hood all mysterious like and not walk into walls. Plus goes well to combat the heat issue.

"This weapon is your life" - Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Back to top WWW Find
Offline Giantmammoth Posted 09-12-2014, 05:07 AM -

Thanks guys for everything. I will hopefully get into the full project in a few weeks what with the holidays fast approaching. Will get some swatches and see what we have and if anything compliments the other etc.
Back to top Find

User(s) browsing this thread
1 Guest(s)