Welcome Guest, please Login, or Create an account

DimesSoldering Kits

Offline Dimes Posted 22-05-2014, 01:19 PM -

Hi all,

I'm looking into some soldering kits, figured if the cost of DIY in doing saber electronics was significantly lower than commissioning someone, I might just bite the bullet/blaster bolt and go the DIY route.

Would anyone know what I might expect to pay for a cheap soldering kit? If anyone has any tips on what else needs to be bought in order to solder properly please let me know as well.

I realise this should of probably gone into the costume modifications thread but i'm apparently not allowed to post there, lol.

Thanks guys Big Grin
Back to top Find
Offline Hopfot Posted 22-05-2014, 01:53 PM -

Here is alright. Wink

Depends on the equipment you want, and how fancy it is. For a soldiering Iron you can pay anywhere from $20-$200, I recently found a nice little unit at Jaycar for about $50, it had a nice Fine tip (necessary for electrical work) and variable temperature.

The next thing you need is Soldier, ask anyone in Jaycar and they will be able to direct you to what you need. Finally, if you've never soldiered anything electrical..... I would suggest learning. It's very easy, you could probably find some tutorials online or find someone at an armour party who can help you.
And yes I know a far bit myself, Cert IV in Avionics Tongue . Wink If you live close enough to me, I can happily come over and give you a hand.

"This weapon is your life" - Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Back to top WWW Find
Offline Dimes Posted 22-05-2014, 02:31 PM -

I wouldn't think anything too fancy because stunts aren't to fancy, as long as everything heats up enough and the tip lasts enough should be ok. I'm still learning about the specifics so i'm not sure about what tips would be fine enough yet.

Definitely gonna practice for a while before going for the real deal in trying to actually create anything. Thought i'd just buy some extra wires and such and just practice on those. I'm living in Southport on the coast so if you live within a reasonable distance i'd appreciate the help. Either way though i'll keep researching and I think I should be right, just gotta see if I can find a reasonably priced kit first.

Heres a couple of sets I had been looking at:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=TS1652

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190801001321?...1438.l2649

When you say 'soldier' is that some sort of soldering term or will I need someone with military training? Tongue lol
Back to top Find
Offline Apok Posted 22-05-2014, 02:55 PM -
Drop Bear Squadron Leader

I would PM Zerebin for electrical hints. He has reconditioned a whole lot of sabers and works with model train kits. He is a wealth of that kind of knowledge. I am in Labrador but my electronics knowledge is at best rubbish.
Back to top Find
Offline Dimes Posted 22-05-2014, 03:17 PM -

(22-05-2014, 02:55 PM)Apok Wrote: my electronics knowledge is at best rubbish.

That makes two of us Apok, haha.

Once I get an idea of what I am actually doing and what I want to do I'll probably give Zerebin a shout.

Thanks for the heads up Smile
(This post was last modified: 22-05-2014, 03:17 PM by Dimes.)
Back to top Find
Offline Hopfot Posted 22-05-2014, 04:27 PM -

Yeah sorry. auto correct on phone.

As Apok said, Talk to Zerebin. His Electrical knowledge would be more up to date than mine. Wink

"This weapon is your life" - Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Back to top WWW Find
Offline Dimes Posted 22-05-2014, 05:19 PM -

Just sent him a message, hopefully will find out what he reckons Smile
Back to top Find

User(s) browsing this thread
1 Guest(s)