Welcome Guest, please Login, or Create an account

mara_jadeHi Everyone

Offline mara_jade Posted 20-05-2014, 09:22 PM -

Just thought I'd introduce myself, I'm Sallie, New Recruit, living on the Gold Coast.

Getting involved with the Rebel Legion has been something I've wanted to do for some time, and after seeing the troop out and about at Supanova and Dreamworld recentley, I made my mind up to make the jump.

I am really hoping to put together a Mara Jade costume, & would be along the lines of my forum avatar.

I'm making plans to go along to Costume Creations by Robin at the markets this weekend, but I also wonder if there are any other tips that any of you may give me for sourcing of costume materials.

I have read in other threads about light sabre suppliers and would ask for any feedback or experiences, tips, traps for purchasing both a costume light sabre and one to learn to duel with.

Looking forward to becoming an active member.

Mara_Jade

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Back to top Find
Offline Satay Posted 20-05-2014, 10:10 PM -

Hi Sallie and welcome! Were you by chance the blonde gal with silver pants that spoke to some of our members about joining up on the Sunday at Dreamworld?

In any case, always great to have new members on board. We have a few folk out GC way and it's great to see the numbers growing Cool

As for sourcing costume materials, it really depends on what you're after. I highly recommend checking the Rebel Legion forums for build threads on other Mara Jade costumes in case someone has pointers or tips on how to go about things. If you need a wig, I can recommend quality wigs from Play With Hair. They're not cheap, but they're great quality and they last the distance. I have at least 5 in my costume collection Smile

In terms of lightsabers, most of us have either the Force FX sabers or one from saber builders like Ultrasabers. In addition, Ultrasabers make excellent blades for duelling. They're not cheap and customer service is a bit 50-50, but they do the trick Big Grin

Please let us know if you need help with anything else!

Cheers,
Sarah.

Sarah

"Let's just say my master will always do what needs to be done. I'm not even sure how peacetime will agree with him." -- Ahsoka Tano
Back to top Find
Offline Hopfot Posted 21-05-2014, 01:24 AM -

Hi and welcome.
Well Satay's got you covered. I would only add my 2 cents as a member of the SvJ dueling team, on Ultrasabers duel-ability. The sabers we used at the duel with the sith at the jedi academy at Dreamworld, are all Ultrasabers.
Now admittedly over the last 5 years we have managed to break multiple blades and sabers, one blade snapped in half the friday before Dreamworld. But we really give them a beating and they still hold up very nicely to what we do to them.

"This weapon is your life" - Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Back to top WWW Find
Offline stormraven Posted 21-05-2014, 03:10 AM -
Tatooine Jedi

Greetings and welcome Mara. If you have seen us at GC SupaNova and DreamWorld you have a fair idea on what we do and what you are getting into Big Grin .

I think the version of Mara you want to look at is this one http://www.rebellegion.com/mara-jade-black-jumpsuit/ this gives you a breakdown on what the costume is made up of. It is a costume which at first looks fairly simple but there is a lot which goes into it.

A few of the guys have bought boots through Costume Creations by Robin and they are fairly good. With the boots the only real tips are to make sure the zips aren't too noticeable, and the buckles don't to look to much like a recognizable style.
Back to top Find
Offline Hopfot Posted 21-05-2014, 10:43 AM -

Just occurred to me. We have another a Mara Jade, who might be able to help. Snarky, she's in Hospital at the moment recovering from surgery, but she might be someone to talk to.
Her Mara Jade is in SvJ, so she duels in it too. Wink
http://tatooinebase.com.au/forum/member....ile&uid=55

"This weapon is your life" - Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Back to top WWW Find
Offline Apok Posted 21-05-2014, 02:05 PM -
Drop Bear Squadron Leader

Welcome. Ultrasabers are the way to go for dueling. Although I did get to snap one of Moxxxie's blades in half. To the blades credit it had been bashed over many years. Nothing is indestructible. Watch out though being Mara Jade. Snarky go proposed to by our resident ROTJ Luke Skywalker at the Dreamworld event. (OK it was just for a photo Smile )
Back to top Find
Offline mara_jade Posted 22-05-2014, 01:58 PM -

Hi Satay,
No it wasn’t me who you spoke to at Dreamworld, although I was there on Sunday. I’ll have a look at the light sabre suppliers you mention. Thanks for the tip o the wigs, I will be need one (or two).

Stormhaven,
The idea of combining a fun thing like trooping with charity work really does appeal to me. However the Mara Jade costume you referred me too is not particularly suitable to me as I have a full sleeve tattoo, which is why I was hoping to develop a costume in the fashion of my avatar, and the attached picture to my original post, so my tattoos would be covered.
Further investigation on the Rebel Legion has identified only two approved Mara Jade Costumes. As Mara Jade is an ‘Expanded Universe’ character there are many different depictions of her throughout her character life, I note that the 501st has yet another version of costume approved for her, but I don’t want to wear robes or a dress in my depiction of Mara Jade.

So my next questions;
Can anyone provide any knowledge if having a brand new costume approved is even possible?
Could the costume approved in principal prior to the build?
Would I need to present drawings, sketches, a timeline as to when she may have worn the clothing?

I’ve attached a couple more pictures of the look I’m hoping to use.

Snarky,
Hope you get well soon.

Also thanks to Hopfot & Apok for the lightsabre tips too.
Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Back to top Find
Offline stormraven Posted 22-05-2014, 03:18 PM -
Tatooine Jedi

(22-05-2014, 01:58 PM)mara_jade Wrote: So my next questions;
Can anyone provide any knowledge if having a brand new costume approved is even possible?
Could the costume approved in principal prior to the build?
Would I need to present drawings, sketches, a timeline as to when she may have worn the clothing?

Ok I see now it is another version of her that I was thinking of, it would be best to post these questions in the Jedi section of the main boards http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/v...991b89c51b where someone may have already of looked into this costume.

Putting a new costume up for approval is possible and has been done by members ( I'm about to submit my Lobot costume and it has no costume standards ). Before you start this costume I would start a thread on the Jedi forums this will give the costume judges a chance to look at what you want to do and give their opinion on it.

For new builds you need at least three picture references and it looks as though you have those already, but again it will be worthwhile to ask questions on what colour and types of fabric people and costume judges think are shown in the pictures.

And while I don't like to discourage people from doing their preferred costumes, another option would be to start with a generic Jedi and then make this as your second/special project.
Back to top Find
Offline mara_jade Posted 24-05-2014, 07:36 PM -

Hey everyone,
It would seem that after some further research that the costume I've depicted for Mara Jade is based on events circa 8 months ABY while she was acting as The Emperors Hand. So it would seem I'll have to turn to the Dark Side for this costume to maintain the correct political alliances with the Empire.

Really appreciate the feedback and help from everyone, and I'd dare say that we'll all meet up sooner rather than later.

Thanks
Sallie
Back to top Find
Offline stormraven Posted 24-05-2014, 10:38 PM -
Tatooine Jedi

No worries Sallie you can always drop by and visit. I'll look forward to seeing this costume being built.
Back to top Find

User(s) browsing this thread
1 Guest(s)