Welcome Guest, please Login, or Create an account

DimesGeneric Jedi WIP

Offline Satay Posted 24-03-2014, 09:23 PM -

(24-03-2014, 08:13 AM)Dimes Wrote: I had another question about the Obi. I'm having trouble with the ends of it when I wrap it around myself. As the Obi is just like a mini tabard which wraps around my waist line, I have found it hard to hide the ends.

Would you guys have any suggestions? Or just any strategies you use on your own costumes?

Let me know if you want a pic, i'll be happy to take one if my description isn't enough Smile

Unfortunately, the obi fastens at the back, so you will always have one end showing. I managed to disguise mine a bit more by making the back of my obi come down to a point. You can still see the border of it where it comes down on the right hand side, though.
[Image: Twilekfinal14.jpg]

If you have a regular rectangle obi, your end will look like this:
[Image: IMG_1266_zps0d906157.jpg]

The thing about the obi is that it's mostly covered by the belt, so people don't often pay much attention to where it fastens. Especially if it's at your back Smile

Sarah

"Let's just say my master will always do what needs to be done. I'm not even sure how peacetime will agree with him." -- Ahsoka Tano
Back to top Find
Offline Dimes Posted 25-03-2014, 09:39 AM -

Sweet, well it doesn't look like I have too much to worry about then Smile The bottom pic illustrates pretty well exactly what my Obi ends up looking like. The Obi does tend to fold over the belt at times, but that's just because my current belt is not thick enough. Once I have a thicker 'proper' jedi belt, it should be all good.
Back to top Find
Offline stormraven Posted 25-03-2014, 12:43 PM -
Tatooine Jedi

Dimes as you can see both Satay and I have the scarf style tabards so the best place to put Velcro is on the shoulders, but with the longer ones I think its also a good idea to put some on the obi so the tabards don't move around too much.
Back to top Find
Offline Dimes Posted 25-03-2014, 05:14 PM -

(25-03-2014, 12:43 PM)stormraven Wrote: Dimes as you can see both Satay and I have the scarf style tabards so the best place to put Velcro is on the shoulders, but with the longer ones I think its also a good idea to put some on the obi so the tabards don't move around too much.

I'll add the velcro on soon, I'm thinking just a dot on each shoulder and then also between the tabards and obi, the tabards under the obi tend to move around when i sit down/get up.

After that i'll look getting the tabards hemmed, just to be a bit shorter.

All i'll need after all that, is a belt Big Grin
Back to top Find
Offline Dimes Posted 27-03-2014, 09:27 PM -

Hey Guys,

Just a bit of an update, I have folded my tabards back a bit to make them shorter, soon I hope to have them hemmed in place. I brought them back about 19cms.

Just wanted to see what you guys thought, before I lock it in (Eddie). They still might seem a bit long, but the bottom hem of my OT is quite long as well, and I needed to make sure the tabards passed the bottom hem.

Let me know what you think Smile

EDIT: Just replaced the two pics which followed originally, with a new pic of my finalised tabards (post cut and stitch).

Here is the pic:

[Image: 2014-03-291606021_zps70dec012.jpg]

Below I will upload again the 'old' length, just for run comparison times Smile

[Image: 2014-03-21173842_zps03969235.jpg]
Thanks Guys Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2014, 09:09 AM by Dimes.)
Back to top Find
Offline Satay Posted 29-03-2014, 02:40 PM -

Good job, man. Looking much better! Cool

Sarah

"Let's just say my master will always do what needs to be done. I'm not even sure how peacetime will agree with him." -- Ahsoka Tano
Back to top Find
Offline stormraven Posted 30-03-2014, 07:58 AM -
Tatooine Jedi

Personally I think that looks better but in the end the standards allow for a bit of personal interpretation all they say is that "they must extend at least to or past the bottom hem of the OT on the front". If you are coming to the Gold Coast SupaNova wear or bring in your costume and we can have a look over it for you.
Back to top Find
Offline Dimes Posted 30-03-2014, 09:57 AM -

(30-03-2014, 07:58 AM)stormraven Wrote: Personally I think that looks better but in the end the standards allow for a bit of personal interpretation all they say is that "they must extend at least to or past the bottom hem of the OT on the front". If you are coming to the Gold Coast SupaNova wear or bring in your costume and we can have a look over it for you.

Yeah I like the tabards a bit longer, I think I have them at a length i'm happy with right now. Haha, this costume was originally FOR Nova, until I really got into what RL's been doing. So yeah, you can count on me wearing my jedi set for all 3 days Big Grin
Back to top Find
Offline Rebelrach Posted 31-03-2014, 08:12 PM -
Public Relations Officer

Hey Dimes I have the same style Jedi - an Obi Wan with the separate tabbards like yours, to keep it all in place I have added press studs to my inner tunic, outer tunic and on the tops of my shoulders so the tabbards are at the right height and sit right on my shoulders. Also means I don't need a mirror or if I'm in a rush I can still dress properly. I have Velcro securing my obi at the back also, same as the others. Also if you have a cloak, you have no worries there.

Good luck and nice work so far!
(This post was last modified: 31-03-2014, 08:12 PM by Rebelrach.)
Back to top Find
Offline Dimes Posted 31-03-2014, 10:07 PM -

(31-03-2014, 08:12 PM)Rebelrach Wrote: Hey Dimes I have the same style Jedi - an Obi Wan with the separate tabbards like yours, to keep it all in place I have added press studs to my inner tunic, outer tunic and on the tops of my shoulders so the tabbards are at the right height and sit right on my shoulders. Also means I don't need a mirror or if I'm in a rush I can still dress properly. I have Velcro securing my obi at the back also, same as the others. Also if you have a cloak, you have no worries there.

Good luck and nice work so far!

Thanks for putting in your 2 cents Rebelrach Smile I was going to put velcro on, and in some of the places that you mention, but I have been given further advice on modifications that I'll need to make (cutting back the collar trim, and converting the tabards into the Y shape). I thought it would be best to make those changes before securing my tunic with vecro and snaps, etc.
Back to top Find

User(s) browsing this thread
1 Guest(s)