Welcome Guest, please Login, or Create an account

JediprincessJediprincess in the desert

Offline Jediprincess Posted 12-01-2014, 06:14 PM -
Tatooine Member

Lucky Phil and I went to Dubai for New Year. As Dubai is a land of vast and beautiful deserts, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get some photos showing off our cool Tatooine Shirt in a real desert and to the locals.

We made sure we went on a Desert Safari. It was awesome. We did some Dune Bashing in 4WDs, rode a camel, and had a buffet at a Bedouin camp with belly dancing etc.

Whilst doing the Dune Bashing, our Guide stopped for some photo opportunities, so we made the most of them. Smile
[Image: 531.jpg]

[Image: 533.jpg]

Then, of course, I had to bust out my funky desert themed Star Wars outfits for a cool location shoot. Cool
[Image: 466.jpg]

[Image: 519.jpg]

Checking out the local Merchandise.
[Image: TamsinDubai001.jpg]

And this was on the private beach at Atlantis Resort and Waterpark. You can see the Burj Al Arab in the background. Atlantis Waterpark was soooooo good. If you ever go to Dubai, go there. Cool
[Image: 057.jpg]

This slide is called the Leap of Faith. I didn't think I wanted to go on it, then I went on it twice. You slide straight down, then through a tube through a shark pool before splashing into a pool at the end. You don't actually see the sharks as you go through, as you're going that fast, and the water is spraying up in your face, but it's awesome fun. There's a slow moving ride through a tube in the shark pool you can go on, which is pretty cool.
[Image: 023-1.jpg]

We had an amazing time. The New Year fireworks were amazing and will make all future fireworks really boring. We were lucky where we were staying. We saw them shooting off the entire Burj Khalifa from the roof of our building, then went down to the 21st floor, and saw from the balcony, the fireworks at The Palms, then along the beach.

I had taken my Slave Leia Costume to try and get some Desert Location shots, but unfortunately the opportunity never really came up.
Back to top WWW Find
Offline Rebelrach Posted 12-01-2014, 09:23 PM -
Public Relations Officer

Wow Tamsin that looks amazing!!! And great photoshoot! Lucky you! I'll post a pic of you in our fab TB shirts on our Facebook page if that's OK...Join the Rebellion and get a cool shirt!!!
Back to top Find
Offline Sandman Posted 12-01-2014, 09:28 PM -
Tatooine Member

great pics, that last one looks like a hell of a ride!!!

and yes, Rach, post some of them pics to Facebook.
Back to top Find
Offline Jediprincess Posted 13-01-2014, 12:09 PM -
Tatooine Member

Thanks guys.

Here's a few more. I tried to put these in the first thread, but it said I'd reached my photo limit for one post.

This waterfall is in the Dubai Mall. Massive Shopping Centre, with several Atriums with ornate decorations like this, and a huge aquarium about 3 storeys high.
[Image: 340.jpg]

On a Dhow Cruise along Dubai Creek. They call it a creek, but it's a river.
[Image: 337.jpg]

Just a casual morning after a swim at the beach. You can just make out the Burj Khalifa (the tallest building in the world) in the background.
[Image: 315.jpg]

I made sure to wear our Base Shirt to lots of cool and busy places. Cool
Back to top WWW Find
Offline stormraven Posted 13-01-2014, 01:22 PM -
Tatooine Jedi

Looks great Tamsin did you guys go to visit the Burj Khalifa while you were there?
Back to top Find
Offline Jediprincess Posted 13-01-2014, 01:46 PM -
Tatooine Member

We did that last time we were there, and did the tour to the top of it. They say it takes you to the top, but not quite. Still super high though.

We scored this latest trip pretty much for free.

For Christmas/New Year of 2012/2013, we went to the UK to visit Philip's family. Flying with Emirates, we spent 2 days in Dubai on our way home. Then they bumped us off our Brisbane flight, until the next day. They put us up in a 5 star hotel, and as compensation gave us each a return flight to Dubai to be used within the next 12 months. Apparently they do this all the time. The key seems to be: don't check in for your flight online.

Philip has family that live in Dubai, that we are able to stay with. So with free flights, and accommodation we figured we'd be crazy to pass up this opportunity.

When we were there the last time, his family told us about how great New Year had been, and we said how great it would be to come back some time to see the New Year fireworks. Then a few days later we contacted them, and said you'll never guess what happened, and remember you offered that we were welcome any time.....

It's a nice place to visit. I don't know if I'd want to live there permanently though. There's no 501st there, and you have to dress a little more covered than I generally like to be. Big Grin
Back to top WWW Find
Offline Jeadus Teal Posted 13-01-2014, 03:19 PM -
Tatooine Member

Great photos all round. The shirt looks great against the desert background.
Back to top Find
Offline Satay Posted 13-01-2014, 11:08 PM -

Wicked photos! What a great idea Big Grin

Sarah

"Let's just say my master will always do what needs to be done. I'm not even sure how peacetime will agree with him." -- Ahsoka Tano
Back to top Find
Offline muppet Posted 15-01-2014, 10:05 AM -

Awesome pics. There are 2 501st members in Dubai. They're fairly new, like within the last 12 months. The original outpost there was dissolved and these new guys will hopefully start up again.

[Image: muppetmbogif.gif]
Back to top Find
Offline Jediprincess Posted 15-01-2014, 02:43 PM -
Tatooine Member

Aw, cool. Yeah, when we were there at the start of 2013, I didn't think there were any members.

I'll have to tell the people we stayed with. The husband is a big Star Wars fan, and we almost convinced him last time to get a costume. Big Grin
Back to top WWW Find

User(s) browsing this thread
1 Guest(s)