Welcome Guest, please Login, or Create an account

stormravenLobot WiP

Offline stormraven Posted 02-01-2014, 10:12 AM -
Tatooine Jedi

Ok in late 2012 I bought one of KW Designs Lobot headpieces, and after a long period of planning and looking at it I have decided to try and get this done up for Coast Nova and/or DreamWorld. So here is my plans so far - progress pictures will follow soon.

I managed to pick up a whole lot of reference pictures from Whiteraven on the RL forums.

http://s549.photobucket.com/albums/ii368...?start=all

Headpiece: So I have KW Designs cyborg headpiece and rather than just tape it to my head I am planning to attach it to a pair of headphones and attach the electronics to that.

Overalls: I have looked at making this out of a cotton drill or homespun material but have spoken to Mammasith about about different materials. I will also be looking at buying or making a white "pirate" shirt.

Shoes: In some of the behind the scenes photos you can see they are actually pull on boots, and to make sure that they match the overalls I'll be using some of the material to cover the shoes.

Belt: This may be the hardest part to get right, I've be looking at a few options ranging from Worbla to Kangaroo leather.
Back to top Find
Offline muppet Posted 03-01-2014, 07:58 AM -

the belt piece looks similar to the snowie belt piece

http://www.501st.com/databank/File:TS_belt.jpg

edit, definitely looks like the snowie piece, just with the different greeblies added.

Just need get one that hasn't been cut with the slots, and paint it black. Then attach to a standard 2" belt blank.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2014, 08:01 AM by muppet.)

[Image: muppetmbogif.gif]
Back to top Find
Offline stormraven Posted 03-01-2014, 10:11 AM -
Tatooine Jedi

Thanks for that Muppet, it does seem to make sense as the prop makers did recycle bits of other costumes on to others characters ( e.g. Dengar ). As it was I was thinking of making the belt piece so that it could be attached to my Imperial Officers belt now I'll make it so.
Back to top Find
Offline Angelman Posted 19-01-2014, 09:55 AM -

I'll looking at doing a Lobot too (well actually I've been told to do a Lobot), I've got the head piece clamshells (I got a bunch of reference pictures with it, of the headpiece only).
Stormraven do you want to try and do a group run of anything? As I don't think we are the only ones planning to do this costume.
I'm happy to post a thread on the US 501st forum for a couple of snowy belt pieces and share the freight to Australia.

I think Azreal mentioned he'd have a go at the electronics in the headpiece, but I think getting time to do it could be a problem.

I've been keeping an eye out for the 'pirate' shirt too. I'm REALLY confused by the colours is the shirt white or cream or pale yellow?
Also are the overalls grey or blue or khaki?

There seems to be approved Lobots but no CRL??? How does that work???

Michael (Angelman)
Back to top Find
Offline stormraven Posted 19-01-2014, 04:45 PM -
Tatooine Jedi

Hey Angelman, so far I have got just about everything I need apart from the Belt. With that I am actually thinking of making it out of Worbla ( thermoplastic ) and adding the greeblies to that.

I have asked Azrael to help out with the electronics but am waiting for his kids to go back to school before I get him to start anything.

With the colors they do seem to change depending on the lighting so I've gone with a white pirate shirt and grey overalls.

At present there are 2 active Lobots in the Legion and there costumes do vary slightly from each other because there is no "standard" to base themselves too. The new DL does want to get some more costume guidelines established and I'm thinking of sending her a submission for Lobot.

Hopefully I'll have this finished by DW so if you are down here then I can show the finished costume.

Cheers
Back to top Find
Offline Rebelrach Posted 20-01-2014, 12:17 AM -
Public Relations Officer

Angelman, I went to Lincraft with Mammasith last weekend and she was looking for the Lobot material, we had reference pics on her iphone but even then, we were spoilt for choice in the jumpsuit grey/blue colour. Some greys are blue-er than others, others are more grey-grey if that makes sense! The shirt fabric we couldn't' find but were looking for white with a silky slightly see through look/feel.

its challenging because different pics make the colours look different, But Mammasith seems to have it sorted, when I saw the fabric today it works. If you're going to get your soft parts made perhaps we can get the material codes for you.
(This post was last modified: 20-01-2014, 12:18 AM by Rebelrach.)
Back to top Find
Offline stormraven Posted 20-01-2014, 10:17 AM -
Tatooine Jedi

Actually Angelman, if you like I can talk to my Mammasith ( she's doing the sewing for this ) and ask if she can make up the overalls and shirt for you as well. She has found a nice white material for the shirt now.

We're trying to convince on of the guys down here to do a Lando in time for DW so next we'll just have to convince some people to do up some Bespin Wing Guards. Cool
Back to top Find
Offline Angelman Posted 20-01-2014, 09:44 PM -

Yes please, please beg and plead with Mammasith, I'd happily contribute dollars to get it made (providing it's not too excessive of course). I can supply my measurements.
I wonder if Azreal can production line our two head pieces?
It's a real pain being so far away from the rest of the garrison .... grrrr.

Thanks for thinking us regional people (we don't even have a Lincraft here).

Michael (Angelman).
Back to top Find
Offline Rebelrach Posted 20-01-2014, 09:53 PM -
Public Relations Officer

Stormraven had me take some pics of the material and head pieces.

[Image: IMG_1976_zpsb3d062ca.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1980_zps9aefd259.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1981_zpsb08983a2.jpg]
Back to top Find
Offline stormraven Posted 21-01-2014, 08:47 AM -
Tatooine Jedi

Thanks for posting that for me Rach Big Grin

Ok the white material on the right is the one I will be using for the shirt and the grey material is what will be used to make to overalls. The ivory fabric on the right was an early option for the shirt but I happier with the white.

[Image: IMG_1976_zpsb3d062ca.jpg]

This is how I'm planning on wearing the headpiece, I'll be attaching the electronics and shell to the earphones and using it as some extra support to keep the headpiece in place.

[Image: IMG_1980_zps9aefd259.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1981_zpsb08983a2.jpg]
Back to top Find

User(s) browsing this thread
1 Guest(s)