Welcome Guest, please Login, or Create an account

AlcfalathSupanova Perth 2013 Mission Report

Offline Alcfalath Posted 22-07-2013, 09:12 PM -

Sorry about the delay, ive only just gotten proper internet back Smile Typing this on a phone was not happening Tongue

Supanova Perth 2013 Mission Report

Event:
Supanova Perth 2013

Date:
Friday 28th June 2013 to Sunday 30th June 2013

Venue:
Claremont Showgrounds, 1 Graylands Rd Claremont, Perth Western Australia

Time:
Bump in Friday 2pm to 8pm, Convention Saturday 9.30am to 6pm, Sunday 10am to 6pm

Weather Conditions:
Indoors – Temperate
Outdoors – Chilly early morning rising to quite temperate during the day. Sunny/Few Clouds throughout the day, progressing to cooler temps in the late arvo.

Event Co-Ordinators:
Matt Wilson – RL Tatooine Base
Mark McAuliffe – 501st Desert Scorpion Squad (with help from Chris Averill prior)
Michael Moller – MM Sandhawk Clan

Mission:
To represent our respective groups, being Rebel Legion’s Tatooine Base, 501st Terror Australis Garrison’s Desert Scorpion Squad, and the Mandalorian Mercs’ Sandhawk Clan, in our best capacity, partaking in the first Joint-effort organisation over here in Western Australia of the leading Star Wars clubs at the 6th Perth Supanova Pop Culture Convention, and more so being in the presence of the infamous Carrie Fisher who was attending. And to have fun Big Grin

Rebel Legion - Tatooine Base Attendance:
Matt Wilson – Trooper – Jedi Sat, Ep 3 Anakin Sun
Adele Atkins – Trooper – Jedi Sat and Sun
Shawn Hisey – Trooper – Jedi Sat and Sun
Karen Carver – Trooper – Endor Leia Sat and Sun
Christine Reilly – Recruit – Jedi Sat and Sun
Siobhan Harney – Handler Sat and Sun
Brad Stoker – Handler Sun

Mandalorian Mercs - Sandhawk Clan Attendance:

Michael Moller – Trooper Sat and Sun
Andrew David – Trooper Sat and Sun
Zaron Boreham-Carna – Trooper Sat and Sun
Tim Moller – Handler Sat and Sun
Josh Wright – Handler Sat and Sun

501st Legion Terror Australis Garrison - Desert Scorpion Squad Attendance

Saturday:
Troopers
Glen Rhodes - gmrhodes13 - TK85421
Liz Shord - Liz - DZ13310
Mark McAuliffe - Kade - SL7642
Chris Painter - CDP01 - TK8656
Michael Chiverton - Chivo - TK4582
Troy Rule - Austin - TK3765
Monica Rule - JawaMon - DZ12340
Brett Bogar - Synkro - 22252
Mark Coluzzi - Stretch - DZ4471
Wilson Mezricky - Evilcat - TK5841
Ken Cummings - Zander - TK4748

Wranglers/Guests
Arwen Fenton - Justraana - recruit
Corinne Chiverton
Kate Painter
Chris Averill - Avers - TK7419
Bruce Newton - Juice - TK3406
Grant Thomson - psychonaut - TK9742
Shelley Richardson - Shelley - cadet
Sarah Thomson - Guilby - ID72724
Stuart Neeson - sndeath - cadet
Gavin Goh - Godjira - cadet
Jeremy Meredith - Bloodlust - 80008

Sunday:
TROOPERS:
Glen Rhodes - gmrhodes13 - TK85421
Liz Shord - Liz - DZ13310
Chris Painter - CDP01 - TK8656
Michael Chiverton - Chivo - TK4582
Troy Rule - Austin - TK3765
Monica Rule - JawaMon - DZ12340
Brett Bogar - Synkro - TK/TR22252
Mark Coluzzi - Stretch - TK4471
Wilson Mezricky - Evilcat - TK5841
Grant Thomson - psychonaut - BH9742
Gavin McLean - gav - TB3027
Daniel Parsons - parsleyboi - CC79969
Brett Harder - Blackout - TK19292
Shawn Hisey - Nassik - TR6764
Matt Wilson - Alcfalath - SL6618

WRANGLERS/GUESTS:
Arwen Fenton - Justraana – recruit
Corinne Chiverton
Kate Painter
Bruce Newton - Juice - TK3406
Mark McAuliffe - Kade - TK7642
Stuart Neeson - sndeath – cadet
Jeremy Meredith - Bloodlust - 80008

Rebel Legion/501st Guests:
Jacqui Doyle – Trooper – Jedi Atriss
Steven Kocsis – Trooper – Rebel Fleet Trooper
Ken Seymour and Family

Debrief:
Friday
Waking up early on Friday (and taking the whole day off to prepare for the weekend), Christine and I finished up the tail end of running around for getting stuff for the convention, charging sabers and batteries, painting a Rebel Blaster, going to Bunnings for shelving, cable-ties and a few other essential items, before picking up the carpet for the display. At which point we had to make a very last minute trip to fremantle to acquire a final piece for her Jedi gear for the weekend (in which we ran into Beanie, Muppet and his family in the markets), before speedily coming back to pack the car at lunchtime. At which point Del joined us to pack all the cars, and we headed off to bump in, heavily loaded.

Arriving at the showgrounds, at the same time as the majority of everyone else for bump in, we went inside to find that Nova had given us a lot more room than we had asked for, and expected, but at a loss of a completely joined display with a giant brick wall in the way. Mark and I then set off on an epic odyssey to find and collect our Bump in gear, of which we eventually found and collected, On returning, all the Bunker pieces were inside and on the fly, the collective bump in crew figured out how best to modify the layout to accommodate the change, and we got to work setting up the bunker front on the 501st side, whilst Chris and Del emptied the cars for all the RL gear. Once the majority of the Bunker front was up, I headed back over to the other side to start setting up all the gear which the girls had all brought in, and with some extra help we erected the backdrop, and started working out where everything was going. The Merc crew rocked up at that stage, and while they got their gear together, we found the Floor Manager, and found out our changeroom had been stolen by the volunteers, but he found us one far better but a bit of a walk away, which was later nicknamed the ‘Tower of Power’. On coming back after seeing the facilities (and after I turned on the fridge for us to use for the weekend Big Grin ), we went back setting up the RL and Mercs side, and the 501st bump in crew (now finished) headed off whilst we finished up setting up the shelves. By the time we finished most of the setup, we found ourselves 2 table blacks and shelves short, so we left about the same time the public was let in to buy tokens in the evening, heading back to bunnings again for shelves/kmart for sheets-table blacks, then home to iron and discuss Rebel stuff with Beanie, before crashing for the night.

Saturday

After a few hours sleep it was an early rise at 4.45am to shower, shave and get ready for the day, and to pack the car for the last of the gear and costumes coming in. Chris and I got to the showgrounds at 7am to meet our newest recruit/wrangler/helper for the weekend, Siobhan, who helped us unload the car and start to set up the tables and the rest of the gear. At which point I started taking people down to show them where our changerooms were for the weekend, coming back to finish setting up the last shelves, when breakfast arrived with Del and Beanie, at the same time as Shawn and Karen arriving with the last of the props for the weekend about 8-8.30am, with the Mercs not too far behind arriving about 9am. We were just putting up the last of the props together, and the banners up when one of the Volunteers jumped the gun and let everyone in early at 9.30am, surprising us and catching us still unprepared. Luckily it wasn’t too busy and we had enough time to get everything together before it got too busy by about 10-10.30.

By that stage I was running backwards and forwards between the changerooms, the booth, and in between finding out who was getting into costume, getting into costume myself, and chasing up the Floor Manager, ‘G ’ he likes to be called, about the possibility of organising something for the Carrie Fisher panel, to which he said he would sort out for me, before heading back to the table.

At which point the troop had commenced in its usual full swing format, with members from all the groups either kitted up and at the stands or getting into costume, and the public started to build up around the groups, getting photos with all the displays (and every second person asking ‘how much for my lightsabers’), getting a few donations thanks to Gonk Gonk holding the donation tin for us, and getting a few serious bites about people seeking membership of the clubs and what costumes there were etc, with episodes of the Clone Wars playing in the background.. We rotated our time between the tables, and the backdrop for the majority of the day, with some members going off at points to get photos/signatures/food/drinks, until the day started to slowly wind down around about 4.30pm, where we one by one started to get out of our costumes when the con closed at 6pm for the day, and we cleared the tables, covered up all the valuables, and headed back home with Day 1 over.

After relaxing for a bit, Chris, Del, Myself and our friend Aaron (from the Dr Who group… and a future member when he gets his costume finally together) headed to Perth to join the multi-group gathering/dinner/mixer at the Grosvenor, where we got partially lost, stuck in traffic, lost again after parking, and stumbling in about the same time most people had finished eating. Nonetheless, we ended up catching up on the shenanigans and conversations, and merged into one table as the remaining peoples numbers slowly whittled down with people leaving, especially Muppet as they were flying home and not coming in the next day, so farewells were said at that point. The group slowly drew down to Chris (Avers), Jacqui, Beanie, Myself, Chris, Del and Aaron, but with the second day drawing closer (and the girls falling asleep on the table) we headed off home with Beanie, leaving Jacqui and Chris to the mercy of the table of Drunken Cougars that had taken a very keen interest in our group over the evening.. God knows how they survived that encounter. But that drew the close for the Saturday for us in the least.

Sunday

Another early start, though just a 6am wakeup this time, marked the start of ‘Naked Face Day’, where I shave off the beard for the Anakin Costume, before Chris and I headed in to the con getting there at 7.30 to set up the tables again, with Del, Beanie, and the majority of everyone else coming in at 8.30 (with Maccas breakfast again), for the start of Day 2. By the time the doors were opened the majority of everyone were in costume and rearing to go, with the 501st making a side mission to go play pinball, and Beanie swapping his Fleet trooper for a grand visit by the Emperor for the day, and I went to find out about the Carrie Fisher panel from the previous days enquiry with G.

Not soon after that, I had one of Carrie’s handlers come see me to tell me that ‘It wasn’t happening’ due to size issues and a problem with the Sydney panel, to which I spread the disappointing news with Mark and Mike. However not too soon after that, the same handler came back to Mark and Myself, a little less abrupt this time, to organise a small group for the panel, to which we sorted out the few people for the panel (of which I selected Jacqui, Karen and Myself), and made sure they were promptly ready to meet at 11.30, to which the selected members of the groups kitted up and went to the area designated. There we met the handler, and due to how professional we organised ourselves, we were told that we could increase the number to 15 total people over the 3 groups (allowing all the RL costumes to be there now), and to come back by 2 for the panel at 2.30pm. From there we all broke off, heading back to the booths, or the changerooms, to keep going on with the day, and I went off to quickly grab some Autographs for myself (and my Dad), but not before running into G and finding out he had made sure we got to do the Panel honourguard after the handler told him that it wasn’t happening for us, which I thanked him profusely.

By 2pm, those heading to the panel gathered up, and headed to the changerooms to head to the Rendezvous point en mass once all ready, with our faithful wranglers and handlers manning the table for us in our absence, and the groups headed down the concourse, with the Jedi paving the way and the 501st and Mercs following/stalking us behind. Once there, Mark and I arranged the groups along the back wall of the Panel Room area, to balance the varied costumes. Whilst sorting out the layout, we watched the Hoff getting shuttled away from the panel room we were outside of after waving at us quite excitedly. After which, we filtered inside and took position infront of the stage, creating an honourguard for Carrie Fisher to come in (whilst enduring the MC and the jokes he was making). Soon enough Carrie came in, sabers went off, and the Panel commenced.

After what seemed like both a short and long time, the Panel was over, and to my surprise we were asked to have a Photo with Carrie at the stage, which a few were taken (as she awkwardly caressed my lightsaber, and Beanies Emperor Mask), before heading off to the table/booths again. Before getting there, Carrie’s Handler thanked us for conducting ourselves in such a professional manner, exactly like they had asked of us, and that our panel involvement really had only happened due to the fact that the 3 groups here had made a combined effort together, as a united group, making it possible to co-ordinate it without excluding groups.

Over the rest of the day, I had numerous Supanova organisers pass me by and commented on how professionally we all conducted ourselves, and how they are all very impressed at the teamwork of the groups and quality of the displays, which definitely made for a good impression, as well as numerous members of the public coming up to us after the panel asking about the groups.

After discussing and confirming the idea with Mark, at about 4 I started running around trying to collect everyone together at the joint area between 4.30 and 5ish to start all of our photos for the clubs before having to bring the day to the close. After finding most of everyone that I could between the changerooms and the convention floor, I just managed to get Carrie’s signature (the last on my list) before she headed off, and came back to start sorting out the photos. At which point G had come over and I invited him to join in on the photos, for as long as he could spare being away, and presented him with a Dual Tatooine Base/Terror Australis Garrison Challenge Coin, in thanks for all the help he had done for us over the con, and in the weeks leading up to it (which between Chris, Mark and Myself, was a lot of communication between us, him and Sofia).

So the photos started coming through, utilising the Desert Backdrop for the photos, with the Rebels and Mercs getting theirs done first as the Imperials started to all collect up and arrive, and them following suit not soon after. From there, we did wrangler shots, and then full group shots, finishing up with a few with absolutely everyone in (as far as I can figure out) that was left at the con.

After which, lots of pats of the back and congratulations for the event started going around, and with the majority of the public gone, and it nearing 6pm, we all started to pack up and call it a day, with those left in costume going to kit down, and the rest starting to pack up the displays on either side. I quickly ran the length of the con to see if there was anything worth buying, stopped at the Weta stand and cried at all the beautiful things I couldn’t afford, then came back empty handed to get out of costume and pack up. Half the gear was down by the time I got back due to our industrious team of helpers. The Mercs pretty much packed up as fast as they set up and heading off quite quickly, while we slowly dismantled the last of the gear, saying goodbye to all those who were leaving as they went, and saying farewell to Jacqui and Beanie, until it was only Del, Chris, Siobhan and myself. From there, we backed the cars up to the door, and loaded them up in a few mins. Lastly, we went down to the changeroom to make sure it was exactly as it was when we got it, and a little bit cleaner, cleaning the last few pieces of rubbish missed, unplugging and opening the fridge to defrost again, switching the building off, and heading out. On the way to the cars, I ran into G and once again thanked him for all the help he gave our groups over the weekend, and we headed off to HJ’s for a celebratory easy dinner (with free drink refills), then home again and unloading all the cars (so Siobhan could go home too). After that… Coma…. For about 11 hours until work on Monday morning. Big Grin

Charity Funds Raised:
$2568.85 for the Make a Wish Foundation

Injuries:
No major notable injuries over sore legs and backs, however one 501st Bounty Hunter Imposter tried to sabotage the Rebel and Mercenary efforts by infecting them with a severe debilitating Eye Infection, however only succeeded in infecting a few other 501st troopers instead.

Casualties/Repairs needed:
A few props ended up with a few new scuff marks (negligible), one resin jedi pouch fell off a belt and disintegrated (needs replacing), and one lightsaber ended up getting dropped and blew the LED and shattered the batteries PCB’s (needing a full rewiring/replacement electronics from the US).

Happy People:
Mostly everyone

Unhappy People:
A few scared young children, namely a cute little girl in an R2-D2 dress, but she soon warmed up to us over the day. Also, those very bored people over at the 'Infinite Wealth' stall trying to make money through personal loans... at a pop culture con.... I think they took a wrong turn.... Wink

Mission Status:
100% Successfully Completed

[Image: _MG_4714.jpg]
[Image: _MG_4704.jpg]

More Photos:
http://s381.photobucket.com/user/rosuto_...iva%202013
• Lastly, I wish to re-post the public thankyou that I made over facebook Sunday Evening.

A huge thank you and well done to all of the 501st Desert Scorpion Squad, Rebel Legion Tatooine Base, and Mandalorian Mercs Sandhawk Clan members, be you 'troopers', wranglers recruits, and/or helpful family members/friends who positively contributed over the weekend at Supanova, whether in attendance or help beforehand with props, merch, flyers and the like.

Over the weekend I received numerous compliments and positive feedback by convention staff, exhibitors, and convention attendees on the quality of the layouts of the groups and the conduct of the members, especially today with the Carrie Fisher panel and all those involved, for how professional you all conducted yourselves, especially during the panel. You should all be proud of yourselves, troopers, wranglers and helpers alike.

Also, special thanks go to our visiting interstate brethren, Bean Beanie, Jacqui Doyle and M Uppet Ken Vader and family, for coming over and helping out while here. We hope that you felt welcome, enjoyed your time here and wish you had/will have safe trips back, and know that your help over the weekend is greatly appreciated and you are welcome back anytime.

Lastly, a very special thanks goes out to Supanova, namely Daniel and Sofia Zachariou, and especially to Giampaolo Maddaluno, who's invaluable generosity in space allocated, and help before and during the event made it such a spectacular hit and one to remember.

Here's to more combined efforts in the future, and the start of a new journey that will get better and bolder in the years and events to come. Thank you all again, and get some well earned rest and recovery. Pics will come up as soon as I can, as will a troop report from the RL 'certain point of view' Wink

This is Matt Wilson, Trooper BH/SL-6618 and RL Tatooine Base Regional Captain signing off for the night. Great weekend guys. Kudos to you all Smile

Once again, thankyou to all who positively contributed over the course of the weekend, and in the planning stages before hand. It was greatly appreciated and made this event go as smoothly as it did.
(This post was last modified: 23-07-2013, 01:23 AM by Alcfalath.)
Back to top Find
Offline Sandman Posted 22-07-2013, 09:33 PM -
Tatooine Member

once again, it was a great troop to visit your state and nova and making myself, Jacqui, Muppet and family very welcomed. I had an absolute blast of a time.

can not wait for that group picture with carrie.
Back to top Find
Offline gmrhodes13 Posted 22-07-2013, 09:37 PM -
501st & Rebel Member

Would you like to mention that the charity total was that from the Desert Scorpion Squads Fundraising? It was not from a combined effort. Perhaps in future we can formulate a combined effort to collect for charities

[Image: tk85421-2.gif]
Back to top Find
Offline Alcfalath Posted 22-07-2013, 11:27 PM -

As I have said to others in the past, before posting confronting 'facts' publically, maybe consult the person who posted, namely myself, querying your concern, so it can be addressed a little more tactfully.

To publically reply, before the event, and amongst those organising the event, it was planned that there would be fundraising happening, and that it was being organised through the 501st channels. However, all 3 groups were collectively taking donations, as discussed beforehand, which is why we had the collection tin down our end on both days. That is why it was worded as such, as the event was a collective effort.

I do agree on a collectively organised charity effort, and this is why it was done this way at Nova. Perhaps next year, myself or whomever organises the event on this side, may organise the charity collection that time, and for the event send some tins over to the 501st side for collections. Then the next year, it may be Mercs based. Time will tell.
Back to top Find
Offline Alcfalath Posted 23-07-2013, 01:24 AM -

Edited for spelling and grammar :p
Back to top Find
Offline Sandman Posted 23-07-2013, 10:27 AM -
Tatooine Member

i can confirm money was being donated on the RL stand just as much as 501st, ok they probably collected more but that's not the point. COLLECTIVELY raised is.
Back to top Find
Offline nishaknapp02 Posted 07-11-2022, 11:34 PM -
Banned

Why not settling on games that is fun and at the same time your earning. Well it'll make suspense because the game is well but dude just try it and it gave me hope while pandemic is real rn. Objectives and Goals of Casinos
Back to top Find

User(s) browsing this thread
1 Guest(s)