Welcome Guest, please Login, or Create an account

SatayTwi'lek Jedi

Offline Satay Posted 24-04-2013, 10:08 PM -

Hi all, this is the Twi'lek Jedi costume I've been working on for the last few months. I didn't take too many WIP pics, but these are all of the ones that I did take. Sorry in advance for the photo overload!

[Image: 02Twilek.jpg]
Almost complete Jedi robes. I modelled my colour scheme largely off Mace Windu's robes.

[Image: 01Twilek.jpg]
Close up of colour scheme with inner tunic, outer tunic, tabard, and cloak.

[Image: 03Twilek.jpg]
Testing out my newly sewn obi and belt with the rest of the outfit. I was originally going to have a tan coloured obi to match my outer tunic, but decided that it needed some colour to break it up a bit. There was way too much tan going on!

[Image: 04Twilek.jpg]
Giving my funky new contacts a trial run. I'd already decided that I wanted to be a pink Twi'lek after seeing one in an ep of Clone Wars, so I wanted an eye colour that would really stand out.

[Image: 05Twilek.jpg]
Experimenting with different body paint colour blends and my new airbrush compressor kit. I look like I have the pox!

[Image: 06Twilek.jpg]
My lovely Twi'lek lekku arrive! I had them custom-made by the very talented Pam Simpson Big Grin

[Image: 07Twilek.jpg]
A bit of a dress rehearsal with the full get-up and unpainted headpiece. I'd hemmed my tunics at this stage, because I felt they were a bit too long previously.

[Image: 09Twilek.jpg]
Painting my Twi'lek tails on the balcony. Pretty sure my neighbours think I'm weird!

[Image: 10Twilek.jpg]
Giving my Twi'lek tails some markings using a stencil and an airbrush. I decided to go with a reddish colour to complement my obi. I was also making my headwrap with the same material to match my obi.

I'll show the complete outfit in the next post!

[Image: 11Twilek.jpg]
The final get-up! I ended up ditching my tabard, because it felt it looked weird with my body shape. I'm wondering if one in a different colour would be better. Is a tabard a necessary requirement for a Jedi outfit?

My lightsaber is a Mace Windu (yes, I'm a Mace fan Big Grin) Force FX that I had Andrew from Oz Sabers modify for me. He changed the LEDs to a pink mix and upgraded my blade to a duelling blade. He also made the blade removable (it wasn't previously) and even created a nice little blade plug for me, so I can hang the hilt from my belt if I want. He did a top job! Applause

[Image: 12Twilek.jpg]
Right side view. I opted for tights over pants, because they're easier to tuck into my boots. Are tights allowed?

[Image: 13Twilek.jpg]
Back view. I originally attempted a criss-crossing of leather straps over my lekku (like Aayla Secura), but I couldn't get them to sit quite right, so I ended up doing individual wrappings of leather. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

[Image: 14Twilek.jpg]
Left side view. I should mention that the leather on my lekku wraps, headpiece, belt, and boots are all a matching dark brown. The pictures make them look darker than they really are.

[Image: 15Twilek.jpg]
Action pose! I ordered a pair of dark red finger gloves online that match the colour of my obi, but unfortunately, they didn't arrive in time, so I had to paint my hands for the day. I'm amazed that everything didn't end up pink by the end of the day Tongue

So, what do you guys think? This is my first Star Wars costume, so like the Padawan to the Master, I'm relying on your expertise! Any and all opinions welcome Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 24-04-2013, 10:09 PM by Satay.)

Sarah

"Let's just say my master will always do what needs to be done. I'm not even sure how peacetime will agree with him." -- Ahsoka Tano
Back to top Find
Offline stormraven Posted 24-04-2013, 11:38 PM -
Tatooine Jedi

Looks quite impressive Satay here is the RL Costume standard for generic Jedi http://www.rebellegion.com/about_standards.php?id=39468 Im a non Jedi so after having a look at this you seem to have meet most of them but my only concerns are do you have a corvec clip on your belt, and you may need some of the optional items ( e.g. food capsules, droid caller ). Also for approval pics don't submit them with the pink blade, as Im pretty sure that will get you knocked back, so take pics with the hilt only or see if you can purple up the blade a bit.

Oh and if you haven't visited the Rebel Legion Jedi area here the link to http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21 if you post your build thread there it will be seen by some of the Legion Jedi costume judges and they will give you some offical feedback.
(This post was last modified: 25-04-2013, 07:04 AM by stormraven.)
Back to top Find
Offline Satay Posted 25-04-2013, 08:08 AM -

Thanks for the feedback, Stormraven! Big Grin I actually do have a covertec clip, but was I running late that morning, so I forgot to put it on. I also didn't wear my cloak that day, because I thought it would be too hot. How do Jedi visit desert planets with three layers on?! Tongue

Do you think my pink saber might not be approved, because pink isn't one of the standard saber colours?

I've put the same WIP post on RL Jedi forum for additional feedback. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Cool

Sarah

"Let's just say my master will always do what needs to be done. I'm not even sure how peacetime will agree with him." -- Ahsoka Tano
Back to top Find
Offline Sandman Posted 25-04-2013, 11:30 AM -
Tatooine Member

looking fantastic but im also a non jedi, so im not to sure, maybe some of the jedis on tatooine might pop in and see and comment on this as well as over under the jedi page on RL.

but looking very cool indeed. great work.
Back to top Find
Offline nassik Posted 25-04-2013, 09:07 PM -

I'm a Jedi so I'll chime in here. Overall, it's looking great! Well done.

As for the lightsaber blade, the requirements only state no black or red blades. So pink ought to be fine since there's nothing written against it.

I wondered about your obi for a moment but the standards say no sharp red. Your dark red ought to be fine.

Small extras like food capsules and pouches would add punch to this costume but those are only formal requirements, which I don't think that you have to do.

I think that this has turned out wonderfully and it all looks good to me. I admit that I'm not a costume judge, though, and so these are only my personal opinions.

[Image: RebelPilotSig_zps4a3d814e.jpg]
Back to top Find
Offline stormraven Posted 25-04-2013, 09:49 PM -
Tatooine Jedi

Gday Satay I have looked at your thread on the main boards and it seems you have just about everything they mentioned to get approved i.e the cloak and 1 of the 2 pouches. If getting/making another pouch is a bit of a problem look at getting some food capsules, they seem quite easy to make. I thought they might say something about the pink blade but as Nassik said the only restriction seems to be no black or red blades.

Don't worry too much about the cloak or the pouches as you will be able to take them off for most troops, you will only need to be in full/approved dress at cannon i.e. movie standard Cool events.

So it looks like you are nearly finished, keep up the work as this will be an excellent addition to Jedi ranks in the base. Applause
Back to top Find
Offline nassik Posted 25-04-2013, 10:00 PM -

If you want to go the easy route, you can always grab jedi food capsules off eBay.

[Image: RebelPilotSig_zps4a3d814e.jpg]
Back to top Find
Offline Satay Posted 26-04-2013, 09:37 AM -

Awesome! Thanks for your feedback, guys. Looks like I only have a few small tweaks to do Cool And hello to Nassik! Nice to meet a fellow Jedi Big Grin

(25-04-2013, 09:49 PM)stormraven Wrote: Don't worry too much about the cloak or the pouches as you will be able to take them off for most troops, you will only need to be in full/approved dress at cannon i.e. movie standard Cool events.

That's good to know! I'm not a fan of the QLD heat at the best of times Laugh

(25-04-2013, 10:00 PM)nassik Wrote: If you want to go the easy route, you can always grab jedi food capsules off eBay.

They seem easy enough to make (and I already have an abundance of paint from different cosplays), so I might just go out and grab some pens today. I'll be sure to post pics as I go.

Sarah

Back to top Find
Offline Hopfot Posted 27-04-2013, 04:53 PM -

Looks awesome. We need more Alien Jedi in this Legion.

"This weapon is your life" - Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Back to top WWW Find
Offline Satay Posted 28-04-2013, 12:44 PM -

Thanks Hopfot Big Grin It's fun being a Twi'lek.

I'm looking at making my food capsules and I actually found some mini pens that already look like complete capsules, as they have rounded ends. The problem is that I have two kinds and I can't decide which ones to use, so I thought I'd post some pics up here for feedback.

So, what I'm wondering is:
1) Do either of these look appropriate (once they've been painted, of course)?
2) If so, which looks better?

[Image: FoodCapsules01.jpg]
Belt with smaller, fatter capsules on the left and longer, thinner capsules on the right.

[Image: FoodCapsules02.jpg]
Close up of smaller, fatter capsules.

[Image: FoodCapsules03.jpg]
Close up of longer, thinner capsules.

Thoughts? Huh

Sarah

Back to top Find

User(s) browsing this thread
1 Guest(s)