Welcome Guest, please Login, or Create an account

Lilium AshesLily's Season 2 Sabine

Offline Lilium Ashes Posted 20-06-2017, 10:59 PM -

As a first real build and already making mistakes and going back and forth with the world's most colourful paint job, I thought I should start a build thread for my season 2 Sabine, so others can learn from my mistakes and I can be open to feedback. If you have any questions at all please let me know.

[Image: 18618820_10154821020039582_2077383366_o_zpsar8wapqo.jpg]
I purchased this kit from the Mandolorian Arsenal in January, but didnt get till a couple of months ago due to being forgotten over the Celebration period. The price was reasonable, but the kit does need a fair amount of love with bogging and heat forming to get it right, and i may source a range finder from elsewhere, its terrible.

[Image: IMG_2573_zpsfh9ib26w.jpg]
For motivation I decided I wanted to start the helmet. The helmet is a resin roto cast with a roughly applied coat of silver that I ended up sanding back first and applying my own coat of silver as it had orange peeled in a few places over the helmet. I also coated the inside of the helmet in a dark colour as the resin was white and i wanted the inside to be tidy.
[Image: IMG_2679_zpsi2kzlpde.png]

Part of the appeal of this costume is Sabine is an artist like myself. I opened up Photoshop to colour sample several reference shots to get close to the right colours I need, and at Bruce's recommendation I raided the local MTN spray paint shop at Albion, 7Tate and aquired most of the paint I need, 14 odd shades of paint, I still plan to get more, when the other shades I want come back in stock. I also made a trip to Ironlak for a couple of shades of grey that MTN didnt have.
[Image: SabineHelmet_Swatches_zpsxxtbnbjq.png]
[Image: IMG_2580_zpsoucejipx.jpg]

After giving the helmet sufficient time to properly cure, I made a poor decision. I had applied a couple layers of matte clear coat on my base coat. In theory the decision I had made was sound, as I had thought by applying it I could protect the silver layer when I would later weather the helmet but thinking back on it, the base coat also doubled as a primer and the clear coat removed the adhesive qualities, so when it came down to painting my colours onto the helmet, it didn't stick to the helmet at all. I was able to peel easy 8 - 10cm square portitons of the coloured layer. So unfortunately it has caused me to sand back right back to the base and reapplying the base coat tonight.
[Image: IMG_2711_zps7y1xzrnc.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2722_zpsme1shvsn.jpg]
You can see some of the paint had already peeled back in this picture, despite weeks of dry time between coats.

[Image: IMG_2749_zpsqjytph7l.jpg]
So, a mouse sander, several grits of sandpaper later, back to square one.
Back to top Find
Offline Moo Posted 23-06-2017, 09:31 PM -
Tatooine Member

Great work so far! Looks like youll smash this one out of the park.

Also, happy birthday (forgive me if Im wrong).

[Image: h3e9BHK.png]
Back to top Find
Offline Lilium Ashes Posted 26-06-2017, 10:17 PM -

It was my birthday, thanks Moo!
Back to top Find
Offline Lilium Ashes Posted 28-06-2017, 01:51 PM -

Thank goodness for MTN 94. I had serious concerns about getting this paintjob right without sanding it back a million times when I tried putting Ironlak down on the helmet. The cans were high pressure and applied the paint weirdly. Nice paint, but probably the wrong project for it. I ended up swapping to more MTN now there was more in stock and the results are fantastic, a little tidying, pinstripes and drybrushing and I think this will work. I am going to get a light brown to weather over the light grey as per the above concept images when the shop has more stock.

[Image: IMG_2797_zps1ojksmjb.jpg]
Back to top Find
Offline Lilium Ashes Posted 03-07-2017, 08:51 PM -

Orange is down and I've started the the detailing (I am so happy how clean the black pinstripe came out). Set up stencils for tracing on the wing details which i'll print tomorrow.
[Image: VxgPyjVl.jpg]
Back to top Find
Offline Moo Posted 05-07-2017, 10:58 AM -
Tatooine Member

Looking clean! Line work definitely looks slick

[Image: h3e9BHK.png]
Back to top Find
Offline Lilium Ashes Posted 05-07-2017, 11:54 PM -

After a full couple evenings masking this helmet out, its starting to look like the real thing. I ended up drawing up rough shapes in illustrator and making a guess to their size before tracing it onto the helmet with carbon paper. One again i'll need to hand brush some details before doing some more pinstriping.

[Image: cuGWReWl.jpg]
[Image: 0BKBMy8l.jpg]
[Image: pm67i9tl.jpg]
[Image: KU29OAFl.jpg]
Back to top Find
Offline Cyclops Posted 06-07-2017, 09:51 AM -
Banned

Progressing nicely and the colours look great .
Back to top Find
Offline Lilium Ashes Posted 17-07-2017, 08:43 PM -

A small update, I started with the handplates on the armor as I wanted to test a small area that wouldn't be noticeable if it wasn't the best. Jimcricket gave me some direction on the masking process to have a peeled back weathered look but I wanted to handle this project on my own and I am pretty happy with the results. I started by lightly sanding the plates back and applying a silver base coat the same as my helmet, then built the colours up layer by layer with liquid latex between coats where I didnt want the paint to stick. The I just masked out the details with pinstripe tape and painters tape and hand painted and sponged on the details. You cant tell easily in the photos but theres gradient shades of paint between the layers to try and give it a bit more depth.
[Image: F1MHeuLl.jpg]
[Image: lZLKLnLl.jpg?1]
[Image: 1LLdDkal.png?2]

My helmet is nearing completion too! Ive finished all the black and silver pinstriping, hand painted in the small 'eyes' at the front of the helmet and masked out the red top. From here I still need to wait for a brown-grey to complete the bottom grey colour and do some weathering before installing the range finder and visor.
[Image: y5YEZXZl.png?1]
[Image: OAkGAsJl.jpg]
Back to top Find
Offline Cyclops Posted 18-07-2017, 05:50 AM -
Banned

Coming along nicely, good to see the progress.
Back to top Find

User(s) browsing this thread
1 Guest(s)