Welcome Guest, please Login, or Create an account

ApokDW2016 Thank you thread

Offline Apok Posted 18-05-2016, 01:01 PM -
Drop Bear Squadron Leader

Hi all,

Please feel free to thank a trooper or two that helped you over the weekend.

Can we keep it all in this thread though.

Here we go folks. A Kev like post.

Well it is the end of a great weekend and a fantastic 7 years running this event. It has had it's ups and downs, it's frustrating moments and it's definite amazing moments.

I have fed a 5.2m crocodile, patted a tiger cub, ridden the Tower of Terror and the Motocoaster in armour, led parades as Kenny Koala in pilot and biker costumes, shorn a sheep, been in a Sith vs Jedi lightsaber battle and taught many padawans how to hit their brothers and sisters.

I have met troopers/rebels from all over Australia and from other parts of the world, drunk beer with them, swapped merch with them, marched by their side and had many a yarn.

I got to do all this and much more because of this event. This event is what we are meant to be all about in this kooky little club we have. Where we dress up as plastic spacemen or in our bath robes and go pew pew and vroo vroo, but also get to hang out together and just have some fun. Politics and borders are set aside and we just have fun at this amazing event. People who didn't put their differences aside to boycott this event missed out on something very special. Sucked in.

Some of you were not able to make it this year due to other commitments, illness or funds. You were definitely there in spirit. You were missed. I hope that the Dreamworlds you did attend gave you some great memories and you think of them fondly.

There are so many people I would like to thank. I hope I miss no one. If I do I apologise.

Firstly Kev Vader. Without him backing this crazy idea and helping with the behind the scenes headaches from all corners of the globe, it would have been a lot harder to make this happen. For doing and paying for name badges each year out of his own pocket, getting vans and trucks organised when just one trailer was not enough to get all the props to DW and running bump ins and bump outs smoothly and efficiently. Your dedication to this event has been above and beyond.

To Rick. For running each weekends troop events every year. You work at the command desk so that the rest of us can go out and have the fun. Providing comms and water out of your own pocket as well is more than generous. Doing that makes life so much easier. For being such a good mate as well.

Moxxxie for all the tech support and venting sessions when things are going pear shaped. Your ear and wisdom have always made this an easier job to do.

To the backdrop guys and gals. Without you all making them and then spending the time and money getting them to this event, we would not have the great setting to do what we do. Scope you are a true gentleman for being the first one to start getting it all to DW with the Death Star corridor. Payney, Beanie, Rubber and Teeballz (that name is going to stick Teiwaz :p), thank you for putting up the cash and making the effort to bring your back drops to DW. They make a simple streetscape into an awesome landscape. Scope and Payney I hope you get your speeder bike [censored] fixed. Those bikes are works of art not just props.

Draco and the SvJ team for their years of dedication to bring, what I think is the jewel in the DW experience. You give months of your time to put on a show that even seasoned professionals have admitted to me they would not be able to do what you all do. Draco your patience with us all is telling attribute that you can put up with a lot from a bunch of nerds swinging swords. Thanks Draco, Mox, Hoppy, Azza, Ray, Liz, Oigen, Shawn Thrawn, Snarks, Luke, Aly, Beanie, Xeno and the big sooky la la, Mr Stinkyhead himself Cutter for whcking sticks, bleeding, concussing, bruising, busted knuckling and injuring yourselves for this bit of fun. You all have put on the best lightsaber show on the planet.

Phantom and Muppet. As GMLs over the 7 years you have suffered in the lead up with members and cadets leaving their approvals to the very last minute and expecting to be approved within a minute. I think many people owe Phantom and the CRC team beers from this year.

Bullant and the raffle team. Beccyd and Christie in particular as well. All three of you gave up your weekend to sell a record amount of tickets this year. Bullant said beccyd did not leave at all. Christie couldn’t, even to pee haha.

Deltorn, Daitium and Teeballz for running around and making sure things were running as they should and asking the right questions as my 2ICs. You guys were everywhere and ready to jump when I needed you to. You guys did a great job.

To all the bakers and water bringers for the change area. Mykill was king of the water this year with 199 bottles for us to drink. Thanks buddy. The food was also delicious!!!

Kayle and Anda for organising the GA kids again. Making sure those monkeys do not cause any trouble. Outstanding work again!!

To all the support crew and wranglers that have made sure the troopers are ok, watered, armoured up, velcroed in and ready to go where they need to be. Without you guys it makes life a whole lot more difficult for the troopers in armour to get out there to troop.

Shutter for being the photo queen for this event over the 7 years. Most people do not understand the effort it takes to do what she does for the entire weekend. Then the monster effort editing the photo so we all get great memories. Love ya Bec!

Jarod and Foghorn (Forlorn Creature). Jarod for all the years you have come in on your free time to follow us around with your video camera to capture what we do and to Foghorn for this year and putting together what I am sure will be amazing when you finish it.

To Roy from DW, Lara from DW PR and the ENT staff as well. These guys and gals go out of their way to help us where we can or just be there like Roy. We need them to make it all go smoothly on the DW end.

To our interstate troopers and rebels. The Dicksons for coming to every DW the RL were allowed to attend (6 out of 7 is amazing), the DDS guys making the massive effort to get here from Perth, the Copperhead team, TAGers with Scott Loxley, the SCG guys that have come over the years, The Hoth team. The international troopers from our first kiwis that made the trip across the ditch to our new mates from Florida and Pennsylvania. You guys have made this event into what it was actually created for. To have troopers from around the country and the world come to a place in Australia and have a great time getting together and just having a fun troop……with beers thrown in as well. To trade stories and merch and just meet fellow troopers with the same passion. Thank you guys for making this idea actually reality.

To all the troopers, rebels and mandos that stood on the booth, walked the streets of DW, high fived big and little kids, marched in the parade, did goofy fun things and were just awesome a massive thanks.

This is our last DW folks. It has been an amazing 7 years. A lot more highs than lows that is for sure. I think we can all hold our heads high and realise that we have all helped turn a little idea into the best goddamn troop in the world. No other country has done what we have and no other country will. DW is the troop everyone should be able to attend. It is such a shame it has come to an end. At least we smashed out for the last on at DW2016!!!!

Park numbers

Saturday: 6580
Sunday: 8597

Donation

DW: $7,500.00
Buckets and Raffle: $4,822.65 (raffle approx $1800)
Beanies boss: $350.00
Total: $12,672.65

We absolutely killed it this year!!!!!!

I am hoping that I didn’t miss anyone, if I did I’m sorry. Thanks for all your efforts everybody. If you all didn't turn up it would just be one angry man standing all alone shouting at himself. DW2016 really was a blast.

Yours Sincerely
Apok

Troop report up soon.......soonish.
Back to top Find

User(s) browsing this thread
1 Guest(s)